Tuesday 24 July 2012

MOSS SIDE STILL THE MECCA

A bit of reminiscing was called for as I headed down to Moss Side my old stomping ground with the bike in the back of the car. It must be 20 years since I pedalled round my old patch in search of wayward strays and birds (and sometimes both!!!). I headed for Halfway House, that bit of land that's 20m wide where the River Mersey gets oh so close to the famous Manchester Ship Canal. Bang! one Little Egret out on the mud. 20 years ago I would have been wetting myself at finding such a bird...now its just a regular occurrence, how times have changed. I met up with Moss Side's own David Attenborough namely Mike the Mull Holland. He'd just found a summer plum Med Gull yet another mega 20 years ago.
As is, Mike updated me on the goings on for Moss Side this past month and Jesus Christ!! if not only one but two mega butterflies were showing right NOW!!! gen passed on and absorbed I raced off on my ageing two-wheeler.


White-letter Haistreak with a non showy 'W'



Purple Hairstreak as per so I'm told wings shut tight.

What a result, two lifers on the old stomping ground...still the MECCA!

No comments: